Sunday 5 February 2023

Williamsburg Bugs (Curious?)

 Waltzing in Spring: 2022  (Started: 2021)

The Curio Collection designed by Betsy Olmsted was another super bargain I purchased at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum Gift shop (Williamsburg, Virginia) in 2019.  So good in fact, I toyed with the idea of getting a second bundle.  Now that I’ve finished this quilt, I’m rather glad I didn’t.

This collection is so distinctive and I am so used to “scrapping from my stash”, that it took me ages & ages to decide on a pattern.  My challenge to myself was to work with only the collection fat quarters and not to add any “blendables” from my stash.  I also didn’t want to cut the pieces too small and ruin all those gloriously bright bugs and butterflies.  Once I found the Fat Quarter Fancy design by Caroline, SewCanShe, in Tula Pink’s wild fabrics, I knew this block, in version II, would work for me.  True to form, it sewed up easily and fairly quickly.  I even managed to make up some smaller squares from the left-over triangles – more fodder for the downsized but still dreaded scrap box! 

Waltzing in Spring out on show at last
But good old Bertie Bernina played up and refused to cooperate, so construction took a little longer than I planned.  Of course, we were still in Covid lockdown during this time too and the repair centre was well outside my LGA.  Such a dance; such a performance!  Dame Nellie Melba could not have done better.

Finally, all blocks were completed.  Not without having to add a few extra fabrics to make up the necessary block numbers, but I think they blend in well with the original collection.  I then spent some time arranging these blocks and finally settled on rows in colour order rather than random placement.  The colours are quite strong and range from blacks to bright colours, so rows seemed the best way to contain all that colour contrast and energy.  The backing was also an interesting decision to make and I finally settled on a bottlebrush design (bright red flowers on a black ground) by Jocelyn Proust then partnered this with a black and white modern print. (Photo when it comes off the wall!).  I quilted this one with a medium stipple in variegated thread.  I rather like the way it reflects the watery theme of so many of the fabrics.  Looking at this quilt seemed to me to be looking into tidal pools, the way we did when we were kids, looking for shells and other exciting bits of sea-life or flotsam. Above the pools, butterflies and dragonflies dance to their own music.  (Check out Heather's amazing collection of rather attractive bugs on Pinterest!)


A few close-up shots
The finished quilt is one that you might either love, or not!  It is quite modern in design, very bold and holds the strength of the fabric design and distinctive colours very well.  I loved the challenges of making this quilt and the opportunity to experiment and grow my own design and quilting skills.  Limiting myself to work with a single collection was a very useful learning experience.  Yes, it was a certainly a moment, and one that I will say I’m glad I had, but doubt I would repeat.

As an afterthought, I’ve finally realised what was bugging me (ha ha!) about the quilt.  It’s modern, fresh and appealing but it really is ALL about the fabric, which is highlighted further by a pattern that features large pieces.  It's not about me, and perhaps not in my style - only time will tell.  It also highlights one of the problems for quiltmakers.  Each quilt takes a great deal of time and effort - from planning to construction.  It’s hard to get to the end and find you are not quite so happy with the result.  Still, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve unpicked a top to “re-imagine” it!  So, in all an interesting learning experiment and one that took me on a journey outside of my colour-mixing, pattern selecting comfort zone.

Just for the Record:

Quilt Finished Size: 153 x 191cm
Block Sizes: 20cm (8 inch); 7.5” finished
Cut in: 6 September 2021
Pieced: 24 October 2021
Basted: 1 November 2021
Quilted: Machine 27-29 Nov 2022 over 3 full days; 2 reels Gutermann Sulky 30wt 4023 (Natural Taupe) using 12 bobbins (Gutermann 50wt 618).
Quilt Type: Modern
Quilt Finished: 9 December 2022
Exhibited:
Collection: Home #129-2021
Pattern Name: Fat Quarter Fancy II, Free Pattern
Pattern Source: SewCanShe.com**
Fabrics Purchased: From the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum in 2019.
Fabric Design: Curio Collection by Betsy Olmsted (See Link above to her Collection)
Fabric Style: Brights; Bugs, Butterflies, Eggs & Corals
Materials Type: Printed Cottons
Wadding Type: Cotton (Warm & White, needled cotton)
Backing: Pieced; 2 fabrics

**SewCanShe by Caroline is a fantastic resource & one that I hope will, over time, help tame that overwhelming stash of mine.  (We can all live in hope!!)

Finding something to bind this quilt was a challenge too!
I ended up with a slate blue Bali Batik that seemed to suit.