Thursday 29 December 2022

Christmas Seminole Tablecloth

Christmas Re-imagined: 2022 (Started: 1987)

My Covid splurge was a new dining room table.  After all, we’d had the sturdy pine one since 1985 and it managed to survive many, many moves and growing children.  So, in December 2021, when I laid out the well-used Christmas tablecloth (made in no less than 1987) on the new table, it looked a little sad.  Hardly a surprise!  So rather than consign it to the bin, I decided on a make-over. 

Yes, the fabrics are definitely a reminder of the 1980’s, and there’s a bit of poly in the cotton selections, but it was worth saving.  I set about separating the two layers (top front & backing), then added some batting.  After wondering for a moment what I was doing when I got it ready to baste, it all came together after giving it the kiss-of-life with machine quilting in a medium stipple – a quick and easy pattern.  I chose a variegated thread to quilt with; bright red, green & a touch of yellow (Gutermann, Sulky 30wt, Colour: 4112, Vintage Holiday).  Finished size at a decent W 143cm x L 248cm.  And I am so over-the-moon with the result.  Should have done it years ago!!

I finished the Christmas Tablecloth makeover on 28 November 2022, just in time for this year’s celebrations with grandchildren.  Better get to decorating the rest of the house, there’s only a few weeks to go!

Making progress at the machine in the cooler weather this year

I am hopeful for a few hours of sunshine to have another photo session.  There's quite the backlog of quilts needing a photo or several.  Fingers crossed that the weather improves!

A temporary "indoor" fix until the sun shines again...